Tuesday, May 4, 2010

And....we're moved!

Today is the fourth night we have spent in our new house. It still doesn't really feel like home yet....but we're getting their. The first two nights were just Troy and I and last night the kids came home to their new house. I was a bit anxious about how Rett would do sleeping in a new room and not really knowing where he was. We changed alot of his furniture (upped him from a toddler bed to a twin, and removed his bookcase of toys and changed out the bedding) so it doesn't really resemble his old room on Hermosa. When it rolled around to bedtime we told him to climb into bed and we would read books (we read his 2 new books Marmie bought him- Cowboy Small and Planes). Afterwards I kissed him, read the sleep rules to him and told him I would see him in the morning. He slept until 5:00am without waking up. When he did wake up he came into our room (how did he remember where it was?). When I got up to take him back to bed he said "but I don't like my new bed.". He climbed back in without much protest and was asleep again in 5 mins. Ellie slept like a rock all night until 6:30am when Rett woke her up. *This further proves my point that sleep habits are a personality trait rather than a learned behavior. I did the exact same thing with both my kids and I have one HORRIBLE sleeper and one GREAT sleeper.*

Tonight I gave the kids their first bath in the new bathtub. They had a great time and Ellie splashed up a storm. (See pics below)



The 2 things I miss most about our old house is the yard and the seclusion. Rett played in the backyard today for awhile but he seemed to get bored fast. At Hermosa he would explore for a good hour outside without needing my attention. I can hear lots of neighbors and forget how close they are. One neighbor has a teenage son who comes and goes alot at night....I can always hear him when he comes and goes. On Hermosa we never who was home or not because we had a wall of brush between the houses and quite a bit of distance.

The 2 things I love about our new house is the space, and the updated features. While this house was built in 1972 and is approaching 38 years old it feels brand new coming from a house built in 1940. The layout is also great. I have so much space I don't have enough stuff to put in all my new places.

I am going to wait to post some before and after pics. I still need to unpack some boxes and hang pics, etc. We are getting 1/2 of our new appliances tomorrow (the double oven and the dryer). I have been handwashing all our dishes and let me tell you, it gets old...fast.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to LH!! I'm glad Rett slept so well on his first night:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So happy you are around the corner! And don't worry, you (well...your kids) will fill up all that empty space soon! Welcome to your new home!

    ReplyDelete