Wednesday, May 5, 2010

a double oven and a dryer

Today 2 of my 5 new appliances came. My double oven and my dryer. I was so excited I kept peering out the window to see if the Whirlpool truck had pulled up yet. When they arrived brought them in, uncrated them, and set them in place...but we saved on shipping by opting to install them ourselves. So, about an hour after they arrived my dad came over to connect the oven. It should have been about a 1hr job. He just left....5 hours later. Turns out the old oven was wired with aluminum wiring and the new oven is wired with copper. These two don't mix well unless you intentionally want to start a house fire. We ended up having to replace all of the wiring coming from the oven to the fuse box. 55 ft total. We had to re-run it up the wall, through the attic and down to the breaker. It was a chore. My dad did all of it with a little help from me except when I went into the attic with him to hold the flashlight. Troy helped him hoist the 225lb oven into the wall. It is in. It's wired....but it's not hooked up to the breaker box yet. Another day. It looks so elegant and modern sitting in my kitchen. I can't wait to bake cinnamon rolls or a bundt cake or cook chicken enchiladas or meatloaf! Can you tell I haven't baked in awhile? We didn't even attempt to connect the dryer....the oven was enough for one day. Here's a pic of the old and one of the new:
The old:

The new:

3 comments:

  1. Can you see how green with envy I am over here? Can't wait to see the new place....I may have to stop by soon on my way home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a double oven!! So glad you have one--enjoy baking in your new home!

    ReplyDelete