Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ringing in the new year

Now that it's 2011 it's time to get down to business. Today all the Christmas decorations came down except the tree which I always leave up until Epiphany. My house feels empty and clean. Looking forward into the coming year I have two resolutions I would like to adopt.
Resolution #1-
Feed my kids more healthy, balanced meals.
I have fallen into a cycle where every night it seems I am either fixing macaroni, corny dogs, chicken nuggets, fish sticks or a kid cuisene for Rett and Ellie. It's embarassing really. I know that this junk is NOT full of nutritional value and NOT helping their little bodies grow stong and thrive. Not trying to make excuses, but I usually do it when Troy is out of town and I don't want to cook and the kids like and it will eat it...so I don't have to hear complaining or nag them to eat. So in 2011 I am going to set out to make each of their meals consist of a protein, carb, fruit and vegetable. I am going to TRY to use as much fresh produce as possible (even though it involves more work on my part) and give them more variety. While I do like buying organic items...I am not consistent. However, from now on I resolve to always buy organic eggs, peanut butter, ketchup, yogurt, cheese and milk. (these are the items Dr. Oz says matter the most when deciding to go organic).
Resolution #2-
Complete home improvement projects
I L.O.V.E. home improvement projects. I rarely do them anymore. Mostly because ALL of my time is spent being a mom. Each week I think "If I can just get ahead of the chores this week I could do.....". Well, it never seems to happen. To get my fix I have been watching hours and hours of HGTV and DIY at night before bed. It helps...but mostly it just fills my head with ideas of what I want to do here. One of the big projects that is looming over our heads is the shower in our master bath. It has a leaky shower pan and had been unuseable since we moved in on May 1st. Since then we have all been using the kids bath. Works for now...but it's getting old. It was one of those projects we were going to complete within the first 3 months of moving in. Hah! So in 2011 I resolve to complete more home improvement projects. Want to see my running list? Okay.
#1 Fix shower and replace vanity in master bath
#2 Retile kitchen
#3 Tile half bath
#4 Replace back door and add deadbolt
#5 Replace chandelier over kitchen table
#6 Install hardware to kitchen cabinets
#7 Fix/replace ALL closet doors that don't work
#8 install new, more inviting, front door

Here's to a healthy, productive 2011! What are your new year's resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the food thing! It's just hard when you do exert all the effort using fresh produce and they end up not eating it. You are motivating me to try harder too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about falling into a cycle. I used to be pretty good about serving vegetables to Jack, but lately he eats a lot of grilled cheese, which is one of the very few surefire things he'll eat. It is hard to keep putting forth the effort to make veggies, when you all but know they're not even going to look at them.

    ReplyDelete