Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To good to be true?


While shopping in the dairy section of Walmart over the weekend a yellow aerosol can caught my eye. It was an Organic Batter Blaster. A completely prepared pancake and waffle mix that is ready to cook once you pull it out of the fridge. You don’t need to add water, you don’t need to mix – all you have to do is shake the can and squeeze. I had seen this product before at Whole Foods but could not bring myself to purchase the almost $5 can. However, at Walmart it was priced at $3.98. I picked a can from the back of the cooler and optimistically placed it in my cart. I was so excited thinking about how easy this product was going to make my mornings. Rett and Ellie LOVE pancakes (as do I)...but every recipe I have makes a heaping pile of pancakes that usually get thrown away after we each eat our share. The idea that I could just pull the Batter Blaster can out of the refrigerator, and make one or two FRESH pancakes was so appealing.

After the first use I was so dissappointed. The Batter Blaster was for me, a gimmick and will not be one I will ever use/buy again. After heating my skillet I shook the batter blaster can and proceeded to spray the batter. I was expecting it to ooze out of the can...but it came out as a high-powered spray like whip cream. It was difficult to shape too. When it came time to flip, it was nearly impossible. My pancakes came out extra brown(and kind of smooshed on one side). I smothered them with butter and syrup and even that was not enough. Rett took one bite and said: "These taste like lemons". Ellie took one bite and tried to feed the rest to the dog. I took one bite and threw the rest in the trash. I am sad to report that the Batter Blaster was too good to be true. :(

3 comments:

  1. Well, at least you tried. I halve my pancake recipe (from the Bisquick box) and that always makes the perfect amount for the four of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same as Melissa with the back of the bisquick box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this once and it was horrible!!! I was excited about it, too.

    ReplyDelete