Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First thing: Clear out, Haul off

After we left the title company this morning Troy headed to work and I rode with my dad to get some new keys made. My mom took off work today and watched Rett and Ellie. After getting keys made we picked up my mom and the kids and headed to my new home. After a picnic lunch on a quilt it was time to get to work. The previous owner left alot of junk in the house. It literally looked like he just woke up and left one morning, never to return. There were dirty clothes in clothes hampers, old food in the pantry, framed pictures on the walls, and a raggedy queen sized mattress in the master-bedroom. Part of our contract was that we would accept the house "as-is", therefore we had the burden of clearing out all this junk. We each got black trash bags and began filling them with as much as we could and taking them outside. We made two piles: one pile of potential garage sale items, one pile of trash. We also began pulling back the carpet so that the painters can paint the entire baseboard since we are replacing the carpet anyways. When my dad pulled back the carpet in the corner bedroom we had quite a surprise. Pink, Orange and Yellow linoleum straight out of 1972! This was the only room with this type of flooring which leads me to believe this was originally a girls bedroom. This is also going to be Ellie's bedroom so I was happy to learn it was originally intended for a girl! Troy said he thinks we should leave a little bit of it exposed in the closet to display some of the homes original features (I'm thinking lets just carpet over all of it again). Troy came back after work just in time to load the pickup truck with all the trash.
Rett and Ellie were FANTASTIC today. Rett really did help...we kept handing him items to walk to the trash pile and he kept making trips. Ellie took a 2.5 hr nap in the pack in play and then I put her in the Ergo where she stayed for about another 2 hrs without any fussing. Below are a few pictures of the junk we cleared out and that "gorgeous" flooring we discovered.

The trash we hauled off:


The garage sale pile:


The retro original floor:

5 comments:

  1. I think that floor is AWESOME!!! You should keep some of it...some how. A closet, frame it, something. SO girly and so 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That floor is FAB!!! You should definitely keep some of it and frame it or something! Love that! Hard work- I hope you had a beer or something at night to reward yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew they even manufatured such terrific flooring! Way to go on all the hard work. Can't wait to see it all completed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow that floor is awesome!!! I'm not sure I'd leave it....but it's sure fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! That was a LOT of JUNK!!!! Rett was a good "worker"! He has strong muscles, and really was amazing!
    I'm so tired but
    I am really enjoying the journey!
    love, MOM

    ReplyDelete